1996 mercury mariner 90 force

iulian

Cadet
I bought my first boat on September,
Bayliner Capri with the outboard mercury 90 force, year 1996,
Now is the time to prepare the boat for the winter time, when I open the screw on the lower unit to change the oil, the first time was water who?s coming up after just a small quantity of oil,
2 days before I was on the lake and everything was ok,
I have to look for new lower unit? I find one more lower unit for mercury but the guy told me it was for 115 force year 1990, what I have to verify ? to be sure if the lower unit it?s good for me?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1996 mercury mariner 90 force

Your gears could still be OK, but you must find and repair water leak to find out. Pressure test the gearcase, repair the bad seal and refill with gear oil. Now retest transmission.

carholme

Rear Admiral

To keep the simple things first, it could just be a bad fill/drain seal.

What is your engine s/n?

Gerry

iulian

Cadet

it's possible, but the guy ask me 300$ for the lower unit (now on final season, I'm from Montreal), everything rebuild inside
I consider the price is very good.
The mercury dealer send me some info?s about my lower unit ( with the serial numer of my motor)
They talked me to check if my lower unit is with 3 jaw reverse clutch or 6 jaw, but this is inside of the unit, I suppose.
How I can check this?
Somebody else told me something about the ratio of the unit, must be the same,
Thanks

carholme

Rear Admiral

Your s/n comes up as;

FORCE - ( 90 H.P. (1996 ))
Serial No: 0E192719 Model No: H090412SD

Here is the Parts and Service Bulletin List for your engine:

Search Results - Crowley Marine

If you look under GEAR HOUSING IDENTIFICATION in the parts list, you will be able to identify what type of Lower Unit you have.

If you look under GEAR HOUSING ASSY (DRIVESHAFT), item 6. you will see the seals I was referring to and I would surely replace the one on item 4 and item 5 and run it before I spent $300. These are common seals which you can get at a local dealer and for three dollars, you can test your engine. They are notorious for leaking, especially as a lot of people do not replace them when they change the oil.

Gerry

Last edited: