2007 Mercury 115 Four stroke oil issue

jacost7

Recruit
Ok guys, this is my first boat and I am already disheartened with the problems. I will first tell you everything I have done to the motor and maybe I can get some input on where to go next.

The motor is a 2007 Mercury 115 Four Stroke EFI.

At first I was getting a rough running motor that wanted to kill and was giving me the infamous four beep alarm. I thought it was a fuel problem, So I emptied the fuel filters and put new non-ethenol gas in the boat. Still getting the alarm. Next, the boat started to not spit water out of the pee hole. I bought a new impeller kit and changed that out. To remove the lower unit, I tilted the engine up as much as possible. Once I get the lower unit off, motor oil started coming from the shaft area of the engine and did not stop till I tilted the engine back down. Changed the water pump and now it shoots water fine. Still the alarm and rough engine. I found a bad fuel line that was starving the engine for gas. Now the engine runs good till about 3000 RPM when the overheat alarm comes on after the four beep alarm.

I think it is a oil pump issue because I can see cracks in the seal above the oil pump and that is where the oil is coming from when I tilt the engine up enough. I have also taken the oil fill cap off when the engine is running and no oil is making it up that far. The motor is full of oil. ( first thing I checked)

Do you think that the oil pump would be the culprit or would the seal above it not let the system pressurize? I am thinking that the four beep alarm is the oil pressure not being there and the overheat when the RPMs get high enough. Also, is the oil pump on this motor too hard for a do-it-yourselfer to tackle. I have not even gotten a chance to take this boat out yet and I am really getting frustrated.

Thanks for your help and time.

Re: 2007 Mercury 115 Four stroke oil issue

What do you mean full how many quarts of oil did you put in? 5 quarts is the max if not looking at the dip stick.

jacost7

Recruit

What do you mean full how many quarts of oil did you put in? 5 quarts is the max if not looking at the dip stick.

I mean that the dipstick shows the oil in the normal operating range. I did not put in any oil, it was serviced a few months before I bought it.

carholme

Rear Admiral

If you would like the complete manual, send me a PM with an email address and I will forward it to you.

Gerry

Mfulfer

Cadet

Well here is the issue. Yes a leaky seal will cause a big drop in oil pressure....if it is on the high pressure side. The seal must be change. (or the E.P.A. will hunt you down and eat your children) With a loss in oil pressure you have more friction,and that means metal to metal contact. Replace the oil pump, the seals (midsection to powerhead, midsection to oil pan and everything in between.) and the oil. Those Yamaha powerheads can take a beating (yeah it is an f115 with a merc gearcase)