Mercury 1150 stuck in gear?

77gp454

Recruit
I have a 78 Mercury 1150 that I recently removed the lower unit on and replaced the impeller. I reinstalled it and when cranking the engine over the prop was spinning, obviously in gear.

I dropped the prop down today and was turning the shift rod back and forth on the lower unit. The rod moves freely back and forth just using my fingers.

As I was doing this I was turning the prop trying to find neutral. It ratchets clockwise and turns with some force counter clockwise.

No matter which direction I turn the shift rod the prop does the same thing.

I would appreciate any help with this.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: Mercury 1150 stuck in gear?

Sounds like you are in forward. Turn the shift rod CCW with your fingers. You will need a cresent wrench to turn it a little farther to get it into neutral. It will click into neutral and stay there. Prop will spin both ways easily. Now set control to neutral and reinstall gearcase.

77gp454

Recruit

Sounds like you are in forward. Turn the shift rod CCW with your fingers. You will need a cresent wrench to turn it a little farther to get it into neutral. It will click into neutral and stay there. Prop will spin both ways easily. Now set control to neutral and reinstall gearcase.

Thanks a lot. I had tried before with pliers but guess I didn't turn it ccw enough. She spins freely both directions now. Getting too dark out but will try to bolt up the lower unit tomorrow and see if everything's right. Thanks again for the help!

77gp454

Recruit

Correction on my 1st post.:.dropped the lower unit, not prop.

Yesterday I put the transmission in neutral and already had the controller in "N". I had a small battle lining up the shift rods, but with a flashlight and screwdriver I got them lined up right. I used a small floor jack under the lower unit with a rag to protect it. I didnt raise the LU with it, I used it to hold it in place one bit at a time while I pulled it up and lined up the shift rods. I had to turn the flywheel by hand to get the driveshaft to click and allow me to raise the LU all the way into place so I could get the nuts on the LU studs. Did this with engine tilted about 90% down.

Fired the old 1150 up for the 1st time and everything seemed good! Got to put a floor in it and the interior back in spring time.

Thanks again for the help!

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

I usually just tilt and lock the motor up all the way. Makes installing the gearcase less prone to gravity. I use only fingers to tighten the nuts until the gearcase is all the way installed. Saves you from stripping the crankshaft to driveshaft splines.

77gp454

Recruit

The 1st time I installed it I did it trim up but doing it by myself I had a hell of a time getting the drive shaft in right because of having to hold the LU up. The jack holding it made that part easy, just had to turn the flywheel a bit and it clicked in place. I only dropped the lower unit enough to mess with the shifter this time. Yea I just finger tightened till everything was in place and the controler was moving freely.