40 HP Mercury Starter Issues

1975 Mercury 40 HP outboard, 2 clylinder.
Starter was dragging so I pulled it, disassmbled clenad it , reassembled and put back in motor. Now it spins clock wise and bendix will not engage. How could it be possible to reverse polarity? Only a Neg and Power cables to hook to starter. Um I am confused.
If I pull it out and reverse cables to battery she spins counter clockwise and bendix engaes, What is going on?

schematic

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: 40 HP Mercury Starter Issues

sounds like the commutator end frame(brush holder frame) is put on 180 deg out to the barrel, or barrel is swapped end for end.

Last edited:

sounds like the commutator end frame(brush holder frame) is put on 180 deg out to the barrel, or barrel is swapped end for end.

Barrel can not be wapped end for End I don't think (can it)? I didn't think it could. Why would the brush frame and brushes matter if they are rotated 180 on the barrel. I am confusederer.

schematic

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Barrel can not be wapped end for End I don't think (can it)? I didn't think it could. Why would the brush frame and brushes matter if they are rotated 180 on the barrel. I am confusederer.

Brush relationship to field coils or magnets with result in change of rotation.

90deg or 180deg change will reverse rotation depending on starter motor design.

Brush relationship to field coils or magnets with result in change of rotation.

90deg or 180deg change will reverse rotation depending on starter motor design.

That was it, I intalled barrel reversed. Turning correct now, but sluggish. I most likely need to have someone rebuild starter or buy a new one.
Thanks so much for help!

quicktach

Petty Officer 1st Class

Sluggish ? Is your battery voltage OK ?

pawpasno

Cadet
2011 60hp Mercury Big Foot - When idling in neutral the starter will start spinning all of a sudden. It does not engage to the flywheel. A few days later it was sitting on the trailer in the yard & I had the key in the on position for at least 10 minutes while putting line on fishing rods and the engine started while I was at the front on the boat. Any ideas what I should be looking for???

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
2011 60hp Mercury Big Foot - When idling in neutral the starter will start spinning all of a sudden. It does not engage to the flywheel. A few days later it was sitting on the trailer in the yard & I had the key in the on position for at least 10 minutes while putting line on fishing rods and the engine started while I was at the front on the boat. Any ideas what I should be looking for???

Start your own thread. This is a hijack. Look at the Help Tips on top of the page.