95 Mercury tracker rick clunn 60 hp 2 stroke anode question

acmetim

Cadet
boat is as stated in title. i just acquired it. the trim tab anode had the rudder thingy broken off. i didnt figure that was hurting anything, but decided to replace it while i was rebuilding tilt/trim cylinder. it came out pretty easily, but when i went to put the bolt back in the hole it came out of(just to store it till the new anode came in) it seems like the threads are stripped. not on the bolt, but on the inside of the hole. it doesnt seem like it will hold under any force if the anode is there with the fin on it. can i re-tap this to a bigger size bolt? any suggestions?
thanks
tim

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Re: 95 Mercury tracker rick clunn 60 hp 2 stroke anode question

Do you have an engine serial number so I can look the parts up on the drawings...

Thanks....

acmetim

Cadet

chris,
og193590

i inspected it again this morning. i can go really slow and wiggle the bolt all of the way into the hole without much pressure. getting it out i have to spin it some unless the force is straight downward and i go slow and wiggle. the threads on the bolt are fine. heli-coil maybe?
tim

achris

Heli-coil would be fine...

acmetim

Cadet

i gotta ressurect this thread...anybody know the thread pitch of this bolt?pitch-.jpg

the closest i can get to it is m10 x 1.25. that nut will go on this bolt, but is kinda a sloppy fit. could be bad threads, or could be a weird thread pitch... any help?
tim

acmetim

Cadet

part # is
10-40003 77 - SCREW

acmetim

Cadet

anybody? i wanna make sure i get the right size helicoil.. on the bolt i took off the washer seems to be permanently fixed on the bolt. at the head. it seems like the washer was there before the threads were cut. it will not come off. i see that the replacement bolts and washers are sold separately. i guess not having the washer "captured" wont matter, or they would sell them as one unit.....
?

achris

If M10 is sloppy, then it may be a 7/16", but the thread pitch is accurate, you might be looking for a 7/16-UNF bolt.... (1.25 is 20tpi, which is UNF at that size)....

acmetim

Cadet

7/16 nut fell right down on it barely touching threads. 3/8 fine thread started fine, but didn't get past first 5 threads before it bound up

acmetim

Cadet

it looks like good weather sunday here. will it hurt anything to run the boat with the trim tab and bolt not there?

oldman570

Lieutenant Commander

I have several motors that just have a flat blocking plate where the trim tab should be, and they run just fine. From my understanding the trim tab with a fin serves two purposes. One , for corrosion from salt water. second is for adjustment in the steering torque of the motor if needed. Some older motors did not even have a trim tab as the newer ones have. JMO
Oldman570

acmetim

Cadet

oldman570
so the plate keeps water from getting in? i am just worried that the bolt is what keeps water out of the lower unit, or anywhere else it shouldnt be.

achris

That bolt doesn't seal anything, it just keeps the trim tab on.

As for the thread size. If you are sure it's 1.25 (or 20 TPI) and not 7/16" then it can ONLY be M10. The only 20 TPI UNF is 7/16", 3/8" UNF is 24 TPI....

Chris.....

acmetim

Cadet

ordered the new bolt and washer from mercury. correct pitch of this bolt is m10x1.5. i guess the other was stripped down funny. if you are here reading this, skip the 3.99 mercury washer. its just a regular washer. skip the bolt too. just get a metric 10x1.5 30mm and metric 10 washer.
thanks y'all