opinions for a 25hp Mercury Bigfoot on my boat and also fuel usage

jc55

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Hey guys, I bought a '68 Sportcraft c-gull trihull that I'm restoring. It's 15' long and weighs about 700 lbs without the motor. I removed the 60hp Johnson and am replacing it with a 2000 Mercury Bigfoot (I also have a second parts motor for the Mercury). No skiing, just cruising around or exploring. My questions are, what size permanent fuel tank would you suggest for overnight trips or most of a weekend without refueling? Will this engine be a total mismatch for just "potsing" around on a river? Thanks in advance, all opinions welcomed.

oldman570

Lieutenant Commander
Re: opinions for a 25hp Mercury Bigfoot on my boat and also fuel usage

A 25 would be fine for just putting around and should be fairly easy on fuel unless you run it at higher RPM's for long peroids. It will take a small pitched prop to get the boat up on plain as the weight is going to be a big factor. 12 gallons of gas should last the weekend as long as you watch the speed and looong runs. If you think you might want to go to a bigger motor at some time , then a larger fuel tank would be a better choice as you would not have to rework the tank latter. JMO
Oldman570

Last edited:

jc55

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: opinions for a 25hp Mercury Bigfoot on my boat and also fuel usage

Thank you oldman570 for the reply. I'll order a 12 gallon which seems to be a pretty universal size. The 5-6 gallon portables seem a little small for what I'm wanting to do. Thanks again!