73 Mercury stator installation

96 glide

Recruit
I can't seem to find out how to get the stator down on the crank far enough to get the hold down plates to lie flat. I would appreciate learning how to do this. What am I doing wrong ? Thanks for any help , Wally.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: 73 Mercury stator installation

Gee, what HP motor are we discussing?

96 glide

Recruit
Re: 73 Mercury stator installation

I am sorry, The motor is a 4 hp., one cylinder, 2 cycle long shaft. Model 40,serial # 3306158. Thanks for any info you can share.
Hi again. My motor is a 1973 model 40 ,4 hp. 2 cycle, long shaft, single cylinder engine. I got it from a friend in a plastic tub. I have put it all back together including all seals gaskets etc., along the way. Then, I ran into lowering the stator assembly onto the crank end, It seemed to bottom out but when I tried to put the stator hold-down plates on they appeared to angle upwards ( from the spring loaded screws ) and set at an angle , resting on the hold-down collar. At this point I decided to find some help on your forums. It looks like a lot of people ( like me ) get a hand with their problems from other more knowledgeable people at this site, thank goodness for that !! The serial number for this motor is 3306153 I bought two manuals but neither one describe this in the detail I need and I don't want to force anything for fear of ruining something else. I know my first post was sketchy on the details. I should have included the hp. rating. The only other thing I know about this motor is that it was sold from a dealer in Toronto in the early 70s. I tried to get my problem cured by asking the local dealer here in Halifax N.S. but no one wants to do anything except to get me to drop the motor off to them. I bought all my parts from them. You would think they would give a bit of info but they didn't. If anyone can help me I would appreciate it and if not advise who could. Thanks for reading my post, regards, Wally.