mercury 150 optimax dies

scrat

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Stange. it's running well cruising at 4000 rpm with no issues. then it just quits with no alarms, no warning, no poor running. happens intermittently. Stops just like the emergency cut off was thrown. starts right back up with out a blink. Tried to find a short that may have caused this in the cut off switch but no joy.. any ideas?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: mercury 150 optimax dies

Have you check for low fuel flow? Maybe antisiphon valve is bad? Maybe water seperator on motor is bad? Any alarms?

scrat

Petty Officer 2nd Class

no alarms at all. I didn't check for the other. I would think that normally there should be some indication if any of the other is occurring such as skipping, running rough, hard to crank,, etc.. but everyhting seems to work ok. The only way I can duplicate the symptoms is to through the emergency cut off.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

A motor can stall dead out if there is a fuel restriction, and you exceed how much fuel it can supply. Normally the primer bulb would go soft, depending on where the restriction is located. Try pumping the fuel primer bulb and see if that fixes it.

Those Optimax's have a water seperator on the port side of the motor, ahead of the fuel pump. Did you ever replace it?