2003 merc saltwater 225 hp leaving sheen in water

bergz22

Cadet
I have a 2003 mercury 225 hp oil and fuel injected two stroke. A week or two ago the engine started running hot when running 3/4 throttle. We just bought this boat, and my dad didnt want to take the time to do any maintenance on it before putting it in. There was hardly and water coming out of the tell tale at idle just a drip. Limped it back and pulled it out of the water for the season. Dropped the lower unit, old impeller looked ok, but replaced it anyway with a new housing, impeller and seals. Found fuel filter on engine had collapsed and was clogged, replaced both fuel filters. Also replaced both thermostats and poppet valve. Also did compression test, all cylinders between 105 and 115.

Now the engine seems to run good in the driveway, but still smokes blue after warming up and leaves a sheen in the water. I did notice before we pulled it out that it was leaving a sheen behind the boat, like little specs hitting the top of the water, so it had to be coming out of the exhaust. The plugs are fouled, need to put in new plugs yet. I would think it shouldn't be leaving a sheen or smoking after it has warmed up. This is an electronic oil injection.

wired247

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 2003 merc saltwater 225 hp leaving sheen in water

I'd change the plugs first. Fouled plugs won't burn the air/fuel mix and you'll get raw gas and oil going out the back.

bergz22

Cadet

I'll change them tomorrow. I pulled them all out while the boat was in the slip and could tell they were wet and fouled.

I wanted to change them while I was doing the impeller. I forgot my to bring my gapper. Also, the dealer put in NGK plugs, the manual says to only run champions. Which is what I have to replace them.

bergz22

Cadet

Still not getting a lot of water out the tell tale. There is a stream at idle, not a really strong one though.