95 mercury 60 hp 3 cylinder---pro tracker series---tach wont work

BASSBOAT21

Banned
Boat boat last week runs great but the tach wasnt working so i bought a new one --it doesnt work its original oem---what else could it be checked all grounds and all that stuff everything is real good and clean connections---i did see where switch box has been replaced at some time cause it saids 2010 on it----any help would be great--all other gauges work fine

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral
Re: 95 mercury 60 hp 3 cylinder---pro tracker series---tach wont work

Test your rectifier.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Re: 95 mercury 60 hp 3 cylinder---pro tracker series---tach wont work

Tach runs off the grey wire which is connected to the regulator module or a terminal block on my 90 and I assume your 60 is very similar. It counts the half wave pulses from the rectified AC coming from your stator. You may have a voltage regulation problem also with some malfunctions.

Other thing is connections being clean and tight. Since you replaced the tach, the connections at least at the tach should be ok....as long as there isn't a problem with the terminal to wire crimp being corroded which can happen.

I looked through my service manual for tach signal testing and there is none so I can't tell you how to check this specifically for the location of the problem....just that a bad regulator module can cause it. The regulator module has the grey wire attached to it along with 2 red, 2 yellow, and a black, or no black and gets grounded through a mounting screw. The terminal block is just that with no active components. It connects the yellow stator wires to the regulator and grey tach signal from the regulator.

Mark