I need to prime my fuel after most shut downs, is this normal?

Techtraveler

Seaman Apprentice
Just purchased a 2004 Sea Fox with 2005 90HP Merc. I have only used the boat one weekend so far and all went pretty well. The only real issue I had was the need to prime the fuel after shutting down the motor more then a few minutes.

On my first outing we went about 15 Miles up river, docked for lunch for about an hour. After lunch, started up just fine, undocked and the motor stalled. After a few anxious minutes of trying to start back up I tried priming the fuel a few hand pumps and we were good to go. I believe there was one or two more times that I had shut down and had to prime before starting up again.

Is this normal? I asked the dealer I purchased the boat and he thought the primer bulb should be replaced. The boat is in another city then I purchased it, so I cannot easily bring it to him for a check. Plus it was a consignment anyway, so no warranty.

Before I brought the boat home, I had the carbs rebuilt and all lines replaced, but I do no think the primer was replaced.

TT

lexer440

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: I need to prime my fuel after most shut downs, is this normal?

For the cost involved I would replace it if it was suspect, they have a one way check valve in them which may have failed in yours.

1nebel0

Chief Petty Officer

If that isn't the problem you have an air leak...fuel fittings would be the next thing to check....hope you got new fuel line given the Ethanol we all have to deal with...Google what it does to carb floats, needles and fuel lines...good luck...

Techtraveler

Seaman Apprentice

I did get new lines.

carholme

Rear Admiral

Was any work done on the fuel pump? Could be a leaking check valve allowing fuel in the carb to flow back after shutdown resulting in your starting difficulties.

Do you have the s/n of your engine?

If you post it and PM me with an email address, I can send you the service manual.

Gerry

Techtraveler

Seaman Apprentice

I can get the serial # next weekend thanks