Mercury 60 hp EFI bigfoot - tell tale pressure question

SCsailor

Cadet
I have a 2006 Mercury 60hp EFI that is new to me. It starts and runs like a champ, but I have a concern about the water coming from the tell tale. It is not a continuous stream, more like a sputtering. Water is definitely coming out from what seems like a large hole, but it's not a continuous, powerful stream. Is this normal? what is normal? Thanks in advance

schematic

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Mercury 60 hp EFI bigfoot - tell tale pressure question

If the engine is new to you, save the guess work and inspect the water pump. Its probably well overdue for service and you need to know for future maintenance. This may cure your telltail. If not.......then go further.

James R

Commander

Occasionally the bugs get up the tell tale and block it. Probe it with the motor running. May need to use some small gauge plastic flexible tubing to get up there.

SCsailor

Cadet

Thanks for the replies. I took it in today to have the water pump replaced. I am having them change the fluids while they are in there as well.

quicktach

Petty Officer 1st Class

May not have been the water pump. Maybe a plugged hose; t-stat dirty. Any salt water build ups--if run in salt water ? Post results of shop plse.

SCsailor

Cadet

The mechanic called back and said it was indeed time to replace the water pump. It was only $160, and since I didn't know when it was last replaced, it was worth it to me. I'll take it out tomorrow and expect to see a powerful stream coming from the telltale.