1972 Mercury 1150 starter spun but would ot engage flywheel...

DVTO2

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I was out on Long Island Sound yesterday right on the edge of the Race near a rip, drift fishing with my buddy. Right as we were about to drift into where the current starts making 2 foot waves I tried to start the motor and the stater spun but wouldn't engage the flywheel. It was hairy because these waves were pounding over the transom and I had to dig out my kicker gas can from the front of the boat to get us out of there.

My battery was ranging from 12.3 to 11.5 volts, and read 11.5 when the starter wouldn't engage, so I wondered if that might be the problem. However, I tried pulling on the starting ripe a few times (no chance of actually starting the motor that way) and the starter began to re-engage again, and we were back to full power.

Any thoughts on what might have happened, either to cause the problem or to fix it. I am thinking that maybe something caught or jammed on the starter to prevent it from moving up to the flywheel and trying to rope start the flywheel unjammed it?

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral
Re: 1972 Mercury 1150 starter spun but would ot engage flywheel...

Yes a charged battery should be around 12.6, 12.3 is 30 % discharged, and 11.5 is 80 % discharged, Charge it then give it a try.

Last edited:

Dave1027

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: 1972 Mercury 1150 starter spun but would ot engage flywheel...

The bendix engages by the spinning torque of the starter motor which cause it to ride up the shaft into the flywheel teeth. First thing to check is to make sure the bendix and shaft are clean, lubed and sliding freely. Next make sure starter motor spins fast enough so that most likely is down to battery power. Check and refurb battery and starter connections. If all good then maybe the starter motor itself.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
I would spin it up by hand and clean the "screw" mechanism under the gear. Use some turpentine to get it clean. Now some oil to allow the gear to move freely.