Mercury Classic 50 starter problem

mattsk7

Cadet
Thanks in advance for any help that I may get with this.
I rebuilt my carburetors yesterday because the engine was running a little rough and not cranking as it should. I got everything back together and tried to start the motor and the starter spun but did not lift to engage. There was also some smoke coming from one negative wire on the solenoid and the groung that is just above the solenoid. I replaced the solenoid and the wires but I am having the same problem. Any ideas??
I have some pictures as well if that would help.

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral
Re: Mercury Classic 50 starter problem

Lose or a bad connection.

mattsk7

Cadet

Thanks for the response. I triple checked all connections. I was not able to locate a bad or frayed connection anywhere.

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

That is what causes wires to smoke or a device that is pulling way more amps than the wire is rated to carrie and that should blow a fuse, or its hooked up backwards.

mattsk7

Cadet

IMAG0234.jpgIMAG0233.jpg
Here is a picture of the wires that are smoking. The second is the harness that the wires come from that extends own to the battery.
That is what causes wires to smoke or a device that is pulling way more amps than the wire is rated to carrie and that should blow a fuse, or its hooked up backwards.

mattsk7

Cadet

Thanks for the help James. I was able to locate the wire that was connected to the wrong terminal.
Of course I now have another issue, ugghhhh. The motor will start but won't idle. I tried to give it some gas after it started and it ran but sounded like it was struggling a bit and then died after 30 seconds or so. I have tried to adjust the idle on the carbs with no success. It seems like it isn't getting fuel once it is started. Any ideas??

CharlieB

Vice Admiral

That is the main fuse holder and wire, it powers the key switch. This is a sign the starter relay is drawing excessive amps.

The starter drive is thrown up by the instant acceleration of the motor, slow motor speed and/or dirty thread on the driveshaft can cause the drive to 'hang'.

Clean all battery cable connections, BOTH ends, same with the starter cable and the starter mount as that is its ground. If the condition still occurs then clean the starter commutator and add two drops of oil to each bushing, leave the drive shaft clean and dry.

Make sure the battery is up to snuff.

CharlieB

Vice Admiral

Recently cleaned carbs. Did you make SURE all floats set correctly, inverted the carb and blew into the fuel inlet to ensure they seal?

Turn each idle mixture screw IN while counting so you could put each one back exactly where it was?

Idle mixture adjustment from scratch starts at 1 & 1/2 turns out from LIGHTLY seated. Start the motor and very slowly adjust one carb at a time to reach 'Best Idle' giving the motor time to respond to each small change.

Ideally this is done ON the water and IN Forward gear as the exhaust back-pressure and the load makes a big difference in the fuel required.

Once set to this "Best Idle'' in gear then each must be adjusted even more to provide the additional fuel necessary for acceleration.

If you are one the hose that is just about another 1/4 turn, in the water not so much. Maybe almost 1/8. Get it close at home then plaln on repeating adjustments once on the water.

mattsk7

Cadet

Thanks for the reply Charlieb. This is my first time doing a carb rebuild so I'm learning along the way. I have taken both carbs out already this morning and will take a second look at them as well as check the float heights. I will post my findings shortly. Thanks again!

mattsk7

Cadet

IMAG0247.jpg
I noticed that this piece, apparently a stop or spacer was only in the lower carb. This was above the float. Is there supposed to be one in the upper carb as well??

CharlieB

Vice Admiral

Baffle, NLA

Original to a lot of series

I wouldn't loose any sleep over missing one.

mattsk7

Cadet

Ok, great. Well, I took the carbs apart again and tweaked the idle per your instructions. It is running great! I'm going to take it to the lake and test it in the water.
Thanks a bunch for the help!!

mattsk7

Cadet

Well, I took the carbs apart again. It starts and idles well for a bit and then just cuts off. Even after putting it in gear it will run and then just die. I have tried to tweak the idle screw but haven't had any success? Any ideas?

mattsk7

Cadet

I just tool a look at the spark plugs and they are filthy. I cleaned them just last week. IMAG0248.jpg

CharlieB

Vice Admiral

Before you remounted the carbs did you turn them upside down and blow into the fuel inlet to ensure the needle and seat sealed?

Now that they are installed, set the trim to level,leave the motor OFF, shift into gear and open the throttle WOT.

Remove the engine cover and any airbox cover so you can look straight into each carb while squeezing the primer bulb. Can you see ANY fuel in any carb, if so that needle and seat needs more attention.

If the carbs were flooding before you cleaned them that could have dirtied your new plugs in a hurry. Clean them up and, check as I spelled out above to ensure no carbs are now flooding.

Repost your progress.