Starter for Mercury Outboard - 40hp ELPTO

bigesox11

Petty Officer 2nd Class
My bendix is not engagain the flywheel and I was told that I need a new starter. The bendix was lubed and I was told that I may get 1 additional start with it or hundreds of starts. I'm curious if there is any "real" difference in the various starters that are available. Should I try to buy one that is manufactured in the US or are they all basically the same? I've seen ARCO, United Tech, Mercury, Caltric, EMS Global, etc. Thanks for your help in deciding which starter to purchase.

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral
Re: Starter for Mercury Outboard - 40hp ELPTO

Before you buy a starter check your wiring closely. All connections must be clean and tight. Look at the terminal lugs very closely for signs of corrosion at the base. They can corrode inside where you can't see it and cause those problem. If there is any doubt you can temporarily use jumper cables in place of the battery cables.

canoemang

Petty Officer 1st Class

you could always rebuild the one you have for a fraction of the price of new..

Brush and a spring kit and a good cleaning does wonders..

bigesox11

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I don't believe there are any problems with the wiring because after lubing the bendix it now does raise to engage the flywheel. If the pull start doesn't fail me :joyous:, I guess I can see if lubing the bendix has solved my problem.