1985 Mercury Black Max 150 wont stay running

jeff brann

Recruit
the boat will get up on plain, it 'll run until the bowls on the carb empty ! ive checked the pick up tube in tank by trying to run it off another tank same problem so that eliminates the pick up tube ! ive replaced the primer bulb and rebuilt the fuel pump! any suggesations??? thanks !

snowbrd84

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1985 Mercury Black Max 150 wont stay running

Make sure the tank vent is not clogged, if the engine is trying to pull fuel, but the tank cant pull in air to replace the space the fuel was taking up, then it creates a vacuum and the fuel cant be pulled from the tank

Also, the fuel pump is driven off of cylinder #3 I believe. So do a compression test on cylinder 3 and make sure it is good.

Check the fuel filter mounted on the side of the motor, the white plastic inline filter. Make sure it is installed in the correct direction (arrow pointing in the direction of fuel flow) and make sure it is not plugged

Make sure you have clamps at all hose hose connections, i leaking connection can result in air getting sucked in rather than pulling fuel from the tank...

jeff brann

Recruit
Re: 1985 Mercury Black Max 150 wont stay running

All is good there ! How bout the solenoid choke ?? Or key switch having a short sending juice to the solenoid ?? When the boat is about to cut off or u can tell its starving for gas before cutting off I push the choke in which should throw gas to the carbs it does nothing???