1996 Mercury 90 hp lower unit

alany1312

Cadet
Hello to all; I recently bought a 1996 pontoon with a 90hp Mercury on it (sn- 0G422531). While cleaning it up and inspecting everything so we can test it I ran into a problem and need some help. On the very back of the engine, on the lower unit, there is a 90 degree plastic fitting screwed in there. It has about an 8 inch piece of hose attached to the fitting and it runs up the engine. There is nothing on the end and I can't see anywhere this hose may have pulled loose from. Can anyone please tell me what this is, where it came from, and where it goes?

This is my very first comment here so feel free to let me know if I am doing anything wrong.

carholme

Rear Admiral
Re: 1996 Mercury 90 hp lower unit

Your s/n comes up as:

MERCURY - ( 90 H.P. (1996 ))
Serial No: 0G422531 Model No: 1090412SN

Parts and Service Bulletin list for s/n 0G422531:

Search Results - Crowley Marine

That hose is probably the speedometer hose which should connect to another tube running fwd to the instrument panel if it is being used. Look on the fwd leading edge of the LU and see if you can see a small hole there which would be the inlet for the speedometer tubing.

If you would like a copy of the service manual for your engine, send me a PM with an email address and I will send it to you.

Gerry

achris

More fish than mountain goat

...This is my very first comment here so feel free to let me know if I am doing anything wrong.

Hello Alan and :welcome: aboard,

You're doing just fine. :) We like engine model, year and serial number... Three ticks...

Gerry pretty much nailed it. Speedo pick up tube. The actual pick up point is right in the front of the gear housing, a tiny little hole, just above the main 'bulge' in the housing. The rubber/plastic tube you see is for hooking to a pitot speedometer. If you have a speedometer in the boat it may be hook to an external pick up... They can look a bit like this.... (could be black or white ;))

152618_150.jpg

Last edited:

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

+1. That's 3 for 3. I have that engine.

Mark