1971 Mercury 9.8 110.....No Spark

steelcity

Cadet
First boat,first outing went good,drove across the lake( Pymatuning) motor ran good,hit the stop button,tried to start again and nothing,so on the way home I dropped it off at a boat repair place they checked the killswitch (stop button) it was working fine, so they called me to let me know that it may be a little more expensive than I want to pay....not too mention he said they rarely work on motors that old.....

So I'm picking it tomorrow, and going to try to repair it myself, all I know is the stop button is okay,it has 2 brand new plugs in it...!

And I'm pretty sure he said there was no spark in both plugs....And this is a pull cord start up...

Any Help Would Be Apprciated

Attachments

• boatttt.jpg
    boatttt.jpg
    154 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Re: 1971 Mercury 9.8 110.....No Spark

Hello steelcity and :welcome: aboard...

Firstly, thank you for that brilliant attachment. That answers, in no uncertain terms, our usual first question. :thumb:

Ok... your no spark condition. First thing you need to be aware of is this is a points ignition system. Also the stop switch is part of the ignition system, and must be closed for the system to generate sparks. If the shop you took the engine to doesn't usually work on engines this age they may be thinking the stop switch works like a more modern engine, CLOSING to stop the engine. The only things common to both cylinders are the stop switch and the stator assy. Make sure the stop switch has one side to ground and that it is CLOSED to run...

Chris......

steelcity

Cadet
Re: 1971 Mercury 9.8 110.....No Spark

Hello steelcity and :welcome: aboard...

Firstly, thank you for that brilliant attachment. That answers, in no uncertain terms, our usual first question. :thumb:

Ok... your no spark condition. First thing you need to be aware of is this is a points ignition system. Also the stop switch is part of the ignition system, and must be closed for the system to generate sparks. If the shop you took the engine to doesn't usually work on engines this age they may be thinking the stop switch works like a more modern engine, CLOSING to stop the engine. The only things common to both cylinders are the stop switch and the stator assy. Make sure the stop switch has one side to ground and that it is CLOSED to run...

Chris......
Thanks Chris.....I will defenitely check that and keep you updated if it starts....going to work on it today.....
Thanks Again

hosser

Recruit
9.8 1971 now got spark in both reverse and forward 'only with WOT none in neutral wont start