2006 Champion 187 Bass Boat with 175hp Mercury Optimax

championboatguy

Recruit
I recently purchased a 2006 Champion 187 bass boat with a 175HP Optimax Outboard. The engine has 75 hours with 90% running at idle speeds. I was out for a couple hours on Saturday morning when I could hear 4 beeps coming from an alarm. I don't have the owners manual so I thought it had something to do with the new Satellite system I just had installed as the boat was running great. The boat ran for a couple hours and on my way back to the boat ramp, the engine died around 40mph and 4000 rpm. I could start it but I could never get past idle speeds without the 4-beeps and the engine would choke out. I was able to limp it back to the dock. I have no idea what's going on with the motor but I had it serviced a couple days ago and he said the engine was just breaking in. I am going to take it to a Mercury dealer tomorrow but wanted to know if anyone has any ideas of what could be wrong. This is my first bass boat and I'm devastated as it has been running flawless. The boat looks like new.

Thanks,

ChampionBoatGuy

wired247

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 2006 Champion 187 Bass Boat with 175hp Mercury Optimax

Have you been putting oil in the oil tank? If the reserve tank on the motor isnt full it will alarm. You may need to bleed the air out of the reserve oil tank while running it.

Fun Times

Staff member

Hi there, Have you check both you engine oil reservoir and the remote oil tank to see if they are still 100% full? If the engine oil reservoir under the cowling gets even a little low, it could create some issues such as this. Since you just had it serviced, maybe some air got into the oil system? Just a thought without being there to see it. Let us know what they find, Good luck.:)

championboatguy

Recruit
Re: 175hp Mercury Optimax goes into safe mode, 4-beep alarm sounding

Thanks for the responses. I took it to a certified Mercury dealer this morning to run the diagnostics. I will have a report back tomorrow and will let you know the results. Good news, the engine went into safe mode so there should be no damage to the engine. They are guessing the oil pump may have caused it to go into safe mode but won't know for sure until tomorrow. I checked the oil reservoir and it was full, the cap was tight. I'm not sure where the reserve oil is located as I don't have a manual. If anyone knows a place to order a mercury owners manual on-line, please let me know.

I recently purchased a 2006 Champion 187 bass boat with a 175HP Optimax Outboard. The engine has 75 hours with 90% running at idle speeds. I was out for a couple hours on Saturday morning when I could hear 4 beeps coming from an alarm. I don't have the owners manual so I thought it had something to do with the new Satellite system I just had installed as the boat was running great. The boat ran for a couple hours and on my way back to the boat ramp, the engine died around 40mph and 4000 rpm. I could start it but I could never get past idle speeds without the 4-beeps and the engine would choke out. I was able to limp it back to the dock. I have no idea what's going on with the motor but I had it serviced a couple days ago and he said the engine was just breaking in. I am going to take it to a Mercury dealer tomorrow but wanted to know if anyone has any ideas of what could be wrong. This is my first bass boat and I'm devastated as it has been running flawless. The boat looks like new.

Thanks,

ChampionBoatGuy

Fun Times

Staff member

If anyone knows a place to order a mercury owners manual on-line, please let me know.
Thanks for the update! We'll need your engine serial number to help locate the correct owners manual part number for you.:)

championboatguy

Recruit

Here is my serial number for the engine: 1B244378. Thanks,

Fun Times

Staff member

here is my serial number for the engine: 1b244378. Thanks,
90-10199060 owners manual

90-859494R1 service manual

90-803502006 parts manual, 135/150/175 dfi (2.5l)

Your Mercury dealer should be able to order the ones you want using the part numbers or you could search the part numbers, Good luck.:)