need help installing lower unit v6 150hp mercury 79 model

jaythefisherman

Recruit
its the old style with the pin on top of the driveshaft , does this pin depress ? is this why it will not go back up in the motor? its strange how it about the exact distance from the lower unit as the height of the pin, , i removed grease, tried grease, removed water tube, put back water tube , bumped over starter, no corrosion, never in saltwater,,,,,what is the secret ,,,,,,please enlighten me to this mystery,,,,,,,thought about taking a grinder and removing this pin but worried it must have some purpose, even though newer motors dont have it, its not shift shaft hitting either because its not close enough to even align at all..........????.....anyone please help?

Dukedog

Captain
Re: need help installing lower unit v6 150hp mercury 79 model

Tha pin is spring loaded. Won't work without it. That type gear case is refered to as a "pre-load". It actually puts pressure on tha top drive shaft bearing to hold it in place in its race. It should go in far enough ta just barely "start" a coupla nuts. Then as ya tighten down you will notice tha pressure of tha spring loading. You might use a flashlight and take a peek up in tha housing at tha hole where tha drive shaft goes. Your lookin' for a dislocated "seal" that might have come outta tha bottom of tha crankshaft when ya pulled tha gear case. You will only "see" part of it........

jaythefisherman

Recruit

thanks for the help , i did look up in it, and it looks like some burrs, but no bearing or race that is out of place, any other suggestions on something i could stick up in there to clean it, or should i use a jack and the trim to try to force it in there,,,,,,,which of course sounds like a really bad idea, but maybe just enough force to get it started,,,,,i cant seem to figure out if the splines are lined up......thanks , this is definitely one of the best forums by far i have ever been on!

Last edited:

Dukedog

Captain

Just a VERY lite grease. Very, very little! Have someone move tha flywheel around when ya stick it in. Best ta use a remote starter button with tha key removed and kill switch pulled. You can also use tha key ta "bump it. Kill switch pulled. With tha less experienced doin' it this way I recommend completely removing' all tha plugs...........

jaythefisherman

Recruit

thanks very helpful, tried rigging up remote key switch,,,,do i just jump across the solenoid, or solenoid to starter?

Dukedog

Captain

Just solenoid......Power to tha small + terminal on tha solenoid

jaythefisherman

Recruit

update,,,,,,,,,it was the water pump sleeve apparently melted and gone or lost, also was causing waterpressure loss, put new grommet to seat sleeve on it down in waterpump then it mated to water pump tube perfectly and fit up in there,,,,psi at idle 7-9psi,,,,full throttle around 20-23psi ,,,,,hope this helps some one in the future that may run across a bizarre issue like this