1997 6hp mercury Gray grease in the prop exhaust hole???

G

anyone know what the gray looking grease inside the prop hole where the exhaust comes out? I heard its because water gets into my lower unit is that true? If it is do I need to drain and refill the lower unit oil?

jbjennings

Captain
Re: 1997 6hp mercury Gray grease in the prop exhaust hole???

If you pull the drain plug on your lower unit and water comes out or your l.u. oil is milky , then yes, replace the seals. But, otherwise the gray substance you see is just unburnt fuel/oil/water mix and is nothing at all to worry about.
JMO,
JBJ

G

If you pull the drain plug on your lower unit and water comes out or your l.u. oil is milky , then yes, replace the seals. But, otherwise the gray substance you see is just unburnt fuel/oil/water mix and is nothing at all to worry about.
JMO,
JBJ

So i looked today and the milky color is gone from the exhaust. I opened the oil screw a little and got this. I smelt it mailed like oil and its almost clearpicture176.jpg

jbjennings

Captain

Run it and enjoy it. I did want to mention that those '97 mercury 6hp outboards were bad about weeping unburnt fuel out of the exhaust right before they snapped a crankshaft. But the crankshafts are easy to replace and only cost around $600.
SO no biggie. Of course, that's not really true but I wanted you to feel at least a little worry for a few seconds at least. :)
JBJ

G

Run it and enjoy it. I did want to mention that those '97 mercury 6hp outboards were bad about weeping unburnt fuel out of the exhaust right before they snapped a crankshaft. But the crankshafts are easy to replace and only cost around $600.
SO no biggie. Of course, that's not really true but I wanted you to feel at least a little worry for a few seconds at least. :)
JBJ

lol, scared me for a second almost burned the spot fish i filleted yesterday (video in the inflatable boats thread). but yea it had be scared thinking i might need to pop the lower unit off