How to disconnect the upper shift shaft on a 1991 75 hp mercury outboard

propgun

Seaman Apprentice
It looks like the shift shaft is epoxied to the arm at the top of the shift shaft. - see picture. Was this a repair or do you have to remove the power head to get it out?

Any advice on getting it out without removing the power head would be greatly appreciated.

By the way is there any way to remove the crank case cover without removing the powerhead?

upper_shift_shaft.jpg

Re: How to disconnect the upper shift shaft on a 1991 75 hp mercury outboard

It looks like the shift shaft is epoxied to the arm at the top of the shift shaft. - see picture. Was this a repair or do you have to remove the power head to get it out?

Any advice on getting it out without removing the power head would be greatly appreciated.

By the way is there any way to remove the crank case cover without removing the powerhead?

View attachment 211043
You would have to remove the powerhead to remove the upper shift shaft.

And you can't split the crankcase (remove the crank case cover) without unbolting it from the exhaust housing

The power head comes off with about 6 bolts/studs. Then disconnect the appropriate wires, fuel line and control cables and lift off. It takes about 45 minutes

Pulling powerheads is easy. Getting into the crankcase is where you better have your skills ready.

propgun

Seaman Apprentice
Re: How to disconnect the upper shift shaft on a 1991 75 hp mercury outboard

You would have to remove the powerhead to remove the upper shift shaft.

And you can't split the crankcase (remove the crank case cover) without unbolting it from the exhaust housing

The power head comes off with about 6 bolts/studs. Then disconnect the appropriate wires, fuel line and control cables and lift off. It takes about 45 minutes

Pulling powerheads is easy. Getting into the crankcase is where you better have your skills ready.

Thanks for the reply, I guess I need to give up on the idea of removing the crank case cover without having to pull the power head. I don't have a lifting ring and I am working on the boat in the yard. Do you have an idea of how heavy the power head is? Maybe I could make a make shift lift ring by drilling three holes in a steel plate. A center hole for the crank shaft and one to either side for a U - bolt, then maybe attach a come-along to a tree branch?