Mercury 1981 Control Quicksilver question

Utilityrunabout

Recruit
I have a 1981 40hp electric start Mercury. No trim
The vintage Quicksilver side mount remote control is broken.

Are there new or newer Quicksilver side mount remote control options that will work for my 1981 OB? I was shoping on line but confused by what will and wont work on a 1981.

Thanks!

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
The popular replacement very well can be the Quicksilver 2000 which is a single lever bulkhead mount with a fast idle lever on the rear, safety kill lanyard, key start with key depression for fuel enrichment or if you have an electrical solenoid to operate a mechanical choke for that too. What you need to know is the electrical connector size. My '02 uses an 8 pin round. Merc has had the same mechanical cable connection setup for many years and there is no reason your existing cables won't work with it. Might ask them or Merc.

On starting with that box you roll the starter and push in on the key while doing it. If the engine coughs or attempts to die, just push it back in and hold till the engine recovers. The fast idle lever is really helpful on initial startup. I put it all the way up and keep one hand on it with the other on the key. When the engine lights off bring it down to keep the engine rpms somewhere around 1500 till it warms up. Then push it all the way down before shifting.

Mark