Question: Water Pump and "Cooper Tube/pipe" Merc 150-V6/94

DWfunk

Seaman Apprentice
I also have a 1989 mercury with cooling problems. When I pulled my lower unit the copper tube came out. When I look up in the housing at bottom of motor with a flashlight, I dont see any seal at all. the copper tube just sticks up in there. so, how does water not leak out when pressure is there. I only have about 8 lbs of pressure at WOT. I should have much much more. I dont know if one fell out that I didn't see when I removed my lower to replace impeller.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: Question: Water Pump and "Cooper Tube/pipe" Merc 150-V6/94

It is a pressure fit and is also pressured from the pump end. If your pressure is that low then the impeller could be worn too

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

You now have your own post. ;)

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

Hey Shane...If tube fits in snug the grommet is in place,just look to see if one side rolled over blocking water into exhaust plate. Post me a pic of your lower unit. Also check the lower water hose from nose cone to water pump base feed as if nuts loose it can suck air....

DWfunk

Seaman Apprentice

I replaced a new impeller and gaskets etc. and should be getting much more pressure. Is there something that is supposed to go on gear shaft up top where it goes into the motor? I am losing pressure somewhere. with the old impeller that was worn out badly had more pressure than the new one so, something is wrong..

snowbrd84

Petty Officer 1st Class

Is this your first impeller change? Make sure the key is in place on the shaft to lock the impeller in position. Also make sure the impeller is inserted with the blades curved in the correct direction. Make sure the white plastic connecting tube is seating onto the copper tube correctly and that the passage is clear...

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

Hey ...that guy that said it had wrong gaskets, check the gasket under base to housing as if reversed it will block off half the inlet to pump

DWfunk

Seaman Apprentice

I think I found my problem. I took pump housing back off along with the top gasket, metal gasket, and gasket below. I then removed the plastic piece below that and found another gasket which the whole back edge was gone and pieces of it were laying in the area where water comes in from the low water pickups. Also there were a couple small pebbles or sandstones and some grit and sand. I dont think it was enough to block the some water flow BUT with the back of the gasket gone it was probably sucking air and not providing a air tight seal so it could suck water in and move it around the impeller to the copper tube and up to the engine......also, my blue seal was pushed in on one side a lower unit oil was starting to seep through into water chamber. not the propeller seal but the seal below the water pump gaskets and housing and piece below that..........How do I change that seal. I have drained all the oil from lower unit and not what?