1982 40 hp mercury outboard question (thunderbolt model)

Joebrear

Recruit
Hey, new user here and not much experience with outboards. I have a 40 hp motor that was given to me that will start and idle fine. When I put it in gear the motor bogs down and quits. I don't have any history with the engine (hours or care) but it is relatively clean and runs fine on idle (make sense?). Anyway I like working on engines and would like to fix it myself, just need a starting point. Appreciate any suggestions.
Joe

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1982 40 hp mercury outboard question (thunderbolt model)

Welcome to iboats Joe.

Start with the basics, get a shop manual, then check compression, and spark on all plugs.

If those check out ok, then it is likely a fuel delivery (carb ) issue.

Being a 2 cycle motor, it is important not to run it lean.
Clean the carb, set float, mixture, and idle to factory settings, and give it a whirl.

And start with fresh gas, mixed with TCW3 oil.

Joebrear

Recruit
Re: 1982 40 hp mercury outboard question (thunderbolt model)

Thanks Roscoe. I was thinking a carb problem but will buy a manual to get all the specs.

Mhydler

Recruit
Hi my name is matt I am new to owning a boat it has a 76 mercury 850 thunderbolt I took it out for the first time yesterday and it didn't do so well it ran great through the no wake zone and at home on muffs but soon as I gave it gas water quit coming out pee hole and it died and wouldn't start back then when I got home 30 min later it started and still no water out the pee hole can anyone help with my problem