1986 Mercury 75 HP No Spark on 1 & 2...3 & 4 fine..Electrical, Fuel, both?

glastrondream

Recruit
Hello All,

First time post...hope I have enough info for some help...

Bought a 1986 75 HP Mercury...Was told only firing on 2 cyl...In my experience, I have always been able to maintain a 2 stroke engine and have family resources to help...but am at a standstill for now....

I have determined the following:

1.) Compression Test...118 #1, 120 #2, 120 #3, 119 #4

2.) No spark on top 2 cyl

3.) switched spark plug wires from bad cyl to good cyl..., same results..so wires are good

4) switched coil from bad cyl to good cyl...same results, so coils are good

5) in addition there is no fuel getting to top 2 cyl...plugs were dry...

I understand there is probably anelectrical and a fuel issue, but with no spark having fuel doesn't matter at this point....I am mechanically inclined and have manuals, etc.....

History on the motor...837 hours fresh water only

trigger replaced

all coils replaced in 2007

I addition...previous owner noted that 3 and 4 working well..#1 only kicked in at high rpm, and #2 very intermittent..now there is nothing in #1 or #2.....Compression test excellent, so that is one thing that I am not worried about.

question is where would you troubleshoot next? also, if anyone has had this same problem please help...

thanks

Last edited:

buddybo

Cadet
Re: 1986 Mercury 75 HP No Spark on 1 & 2...3 & 4 fine..Electrical, Fuel, both?

Hello All,

First time post...hope I have enough info for some help...

Bought a 1986 75 HP Mercury...Was told only firing on 2 cyl...In my experience, I have always been able to maintain a 2 stroke engine and have family resources to help...but am at a standstill for now....

I have determined the following:

1.) Compression Test...118 #1, 120 #2, 120 #3, 119 #4

2.) No spark on top 2 cyl

3.) switched spark plug wires from bad cyl to good cyl..., same results..so wires are good

4) switched coil from bad cyl to good cyl...same results, so coils are good

5) in addition there is no fuel getting to top 2 cyl...plugs were dry...

I understand there is probably anelectrical and a fuel issue, but with no spark having fuel doesn't matter at this point....I am mechanically inclined and have manuals, etc.....

History on the motor...837 hours fresh water only

trigger replaced

all coils replaced in 2007

I addition...previous owner noted that 3 and 4 working well..#1 only kicked in at high rpm, and #2 very intermittent..now there is nothing in #1 or #2.....Compression test excellent, so that is one thing that I am not worried about.

question is where would you troubleshoot next? also, if anyone has had this same problem please help...

thanks

I'm guessing that it could be the stator.

glastrondream

Recruit

I'm guessing that it could be the stator.

thanks...would there be a connection with electrical and fuel problem? can they be related?