25 hp 2 stroke Mercury 1984. How does it rev in neutral?

SamJar

Recruit
I'm a newbie to boat engines but mechanical minded. I have a 1984 25 merc that I have gotten running but I can't figure out how to rev the engine in neutral. The steering arm has a forward and reverse on the handle and in the middle of that is a "N" for neutral however. It turns left and right fine but goes into gear when you turn it. I can rev the engine with the cowl off by using throttle controls under the cowl. I would think the handle pulls or pushes in or out but it does not. There are no levers on the side of the engine. Anyone remember how to do this? Thanks

lexjam

Recruit
Re: 25 hp 2 stroke Mercury 1984. How does it rev in neutral?

You should have a knob on front of the engine left side. twist to the right fully makes it choke. you should feel the indent latch in. just off of full right hand feeling the indent disenguage should be max idle. hope this helps

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

Their is whats know as a fast idle arm or a warm up arm, but it depends on what controller you have. If the controller is in neutral on some you can lift the arm on others you push in a button to disengage the shift cables and move the gear selector as a warm up.

racerone

Supreme Mariner

Sorry, but the OP says that it is a tiller motor , not a remote control.

oldman570

Lieutenant Commander

As you have found out, the motor can not and should not be revved over a fast idle when in the neutral position. There are two cables that hook the shifting and fuel controls to the handle on that motor and should be on them. The fast idle is done by setting the choke nob as Lexjam has stated. This is done by the manufacture so people can not over rev the motor and damage it when being run. As you turn the tiller control CC the motor will go into FWD and start to increase in RPM's. When turned CCW the motor will shift into REV. and increase in RPM's, but only to about half of what the motor will do when in FWD. These are done for safety by the manufacture. Fast idle should only be around 1800 RPM's for most motors. JMO
Oldman570