1978 mercury 90hp engine problems

pownd28

Recruit
i have a 1978 mercury 90hp 2 stroke, im having problems with it starting I think it might be the choke but im not sure, I know that when I press the choke it doesn't make that clicking sound anymore and is staying in the off position, does anyone know what it might be to fix it? it does turn over but it just wont fire up. it was running fine the other day and then it just didn't want to start today for some reason. Im really new to this motor and boat and couldn't find anything on it so im hoping someone could help me on here any advice is appreciated :)

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1978 mercury 90hp engine problems

Well, when you push the choke button it sends +12VDC to the choke solenoid, pulling up on the plunger, closing the choke plates. Try the manual choke (black knob in top cowl support) to make sure the mechanical part of the linkage works. If that is good, place some +12VDC directly on the choke solenoid and see if the plunger gets sucked in. You can jumper it from the hot side of the starter solenoid. If so, the solenoid is good and either the choke button is bad or the wiring is bad. Wiring being bad is more likely IMHO.