Tach wiring for 1964 Mercury?

Number21

Seaman
I have a 1964 Mercury 1000 that needs a tach. I also have an old Mercury Quicksilver tach, the type that is supposed to just plug right into the MerControl with a 3 pin plug. Well, for some reason that plug on my MerControl is just an empty hole. I want to run new wires all the way to the back for the tach. What does the tach need to be hooked to? I assume the 3 wires on the tach are signal, power, and ground? Where does the signal wire get it's signal?

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Tach wiring for 1964 Mercury?

Tach signal is from to either of the wires from the stator on the rectifier, makes no difference which one. The other two are +12 and ground. You assumed correctly. :)

1960 Starflite

Petty Officer 1st Class

The wires you need may be inside the control box. Maybe the nut holding the connector to the box came off and all you need may be there.

GA_Boater

Easy to check on the wiring. See if you have a brown wire from the switch box to the connector on the side of the motor. Or any brown wire into the side connector. Brown is the tach wire in the wiring diagrams I have available.

Number21

Seaman

Tach signal is from to either of the wires from the stator on the rectifier, makes no difference which one.

Are you sure about that? I looked at the tach and it says "T bolt" on the back. Does that mean it gets a signal from the Thunderbolt switchbox? My motor is not a Thunderbolt, no switchbox. Maybe it won't work with this old motor?

GA_Boater

Yes I'm sure of that.

Thunderbolt is just a name Merc used for a number of ignition systems. I have a magneto system called Thunderbolt, for example, and no switchbox.

What's your serial number?