1977 Mercury 500 Trigger removal

Bobinniti

Recruit
OK I have done I lot of thread, online parts sites, and manual reading. I believe that my trigger is bad. I ordered a new one and have it on hand. The only problem is that I can't get the old one off. It is stuck under some kind of mounting bracket with a sleeve pressed onto the end of the crankshaft (I assume its the crank since it spins and the flywheel is attached to it). I have tried a couple different pullers but none of them seem to get a grip on the "part." Is there a special part to pull this thing off.

Back story. My boat was working great till one day I had no spark anywhere. I found most of the wiring in bad shape. I replaced the internal wire harness, the stator and flywheel look new (guy before must have had it done.) The trigger had good ohm reading but bad voltage so I got a new one. The wiring was really bad too so why not? but now I cant get it off. I also found that the screws that hold this mounting bracket (for the stator) are all stripped out and the thing is held in place by one good screw and the gasket. (yeah me)

Bobinniti

Recruit
Re: 1977 Mercury 500 Trigger removal

sure enough I post this and then find the thread I was looking for. I am going to get the special puller needed to remove the trigger. Then put in the new one. Then drill and tap the stator mount and replace with new bolts. Lets just hope I have spark. I think the only thing left then is the switchbox. Everything else has been replaced.