1969 L/S 7.5HP Kiekhaefer Mercury (S/N 26xxxxx) not working - sell for parts???

Windnsails

Recruit
I'm in Seattle, WA area and have a 1969 Mercury 75 (7.5Hp) that I obtained this year with no history on it. Appears to be a long shaft - transom top to propeller shaft ~22"

I took the engine to an experienced and reliable marine engine mechanic for tune up and to find out what needs to be fixed.

He reported back that:
1. Compression is good.
2. Spark is good at both cylinders.
3. Could not get it to run unless flammable spray was used into the carborator.
4. Opened the carb and found it to be filthy - needs a complete rebuild.
5. Checked the final drive oil level and the seals need to be replaced.
6. Said the propeller is frozen to the shaft. Removal requires heating and cutting away the propeller just like the manual I have says must be done. This destroys the propeller.

So some parts are clearly no good. Others could be replaced (carb rebuild, seals and water pump impeller replaced). Other parts appear to be in serviceable condition.

For an engine this old, does it make sense to make the parts available? I mean, are there still folks who are looking for parts to these old engines that would benefit from used parts?

Last edited:

CV16

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1969 L/S 7.5HP Kiekhaefer Mercury (S/N 26xxxxx) not working - sell for parts???

If you are on Facebook, look up old Mercury outboards. There is a group, ask there. I'll bet you'll sell it on there. Or Google Old Merc forums. You will find a buyer.