2003 Mercury 25hp four stroke trouble... Help

cmoney

Recruit
So, I got a new boat last weekend, 03 Suntracker Pontoon for the wife and Baby. Took it out and it ran ok, but when you'd crank it up to go faster it would cut out and try to die, so I just backed off on it and it ran ok... Figured it was bad gas and was trying to run it out. Next day went to take it out again and it died about 500 yards off the dock. :mad: Could get it to run if I pumped it in fast idle but it wasn't right, so got towed in. Changed the Fuel Filter, Plugs, Gas Line/Primer Bulb, added an ethenol restorer and a Lucas Fuel System Cleaner. Still the same problem.

After fiddling with it for a while we discovered if we COVERED the air intake with our hand it would stay running and run fine. Rev it up and everything.

My question is, is it the carb, choke or fuel pump. The Boat doesn't have manual choke. but i assume there is an automatic choke? :confused: (fyi, i have the carb off the boat so any tips on cleaning it would rock:D)

Please help, I just got it and I've dumped $80-$100 into already. Tired of driving to the lake and leaving with out the boat running. :facepalm:

carholme

Rear Admiral
Re: 2003 Mercury 25hp four stroke trouble... Help

What is your engine s/n?

If you send me a PM with an email address, I can send you a copy of the service manual.

Gerry

carholme

Rear Admiral
Re: 2003 Mercury 25hp four stroke trouble... Help

Manual is on the way.

Gerry