2008 Mercury 15hp 2-Stroke - Gauges and Parts Needed

TheCharles

Recruit
Hello boating community,

I am extremely new to boating and I have a 14-ft pontoon boat with a 2008 Mercury 15 hp outboard motor. I am learning new things every day about owning and operating a boat engine. It's completely different from what I'm used to, so any help would be appreciated.

A friend of mine told me that I need to have three different gauges on my pontoon boat. I have been operating my boat with out any gauges at the moment. He told me I needed the following three gauges:

1. Volt meter
  2. Tachometer
  3. Water Pressure

On to my questions:

• How do these gauges hook into my outboard engine?
  • I'm assuming with a certain Mercury cable, so what cable do I need to buy?
  • What brand gauges do I need to buy?
  • Are there any other gauges that I absolutely need or that you would recommend?

Thanks for your help! Ciao.

-The Charles

Last edited:

Dave1027

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: 2008 Mercury 15hp 2-Stroke - Gauges and Parts Needed

I don't think you need any gauges for a 15 hp motor. Make sure it's propped correctly.

Mi duckdown

Commander

Just make sure your water impeller is good. Forget what your friend said.???

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

Most any cheap fish finder will give you the voltage, plus you'll know the depth, which is possibly more important than the other things.

Water pressure isn't important, a tach can be convenient and help in getting the right prop. A tach can be purchased here on Iboats easily.

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

I have a tach and volt meter and a hour meter on mine. Their not hard to find o hook up. Their is a plug in out let on your controller that the instrument hook up to and depending on your motor then you see what it will except.