1992 mercury 20 hp 2 stroke does not want to start.......plz help

gunda420

Cadet
spark is good on both plugs, compression is about 95 for both cylinders, I rebuilt the carb and checked reed valve seals and they look good, swapped coil wires still no luck. I get little smoke out of the exhaust but that's it. I am stomped plz help

erie_guy

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1992 mercury 20 hp 2 stroke does not want to start.......plz help

Can you get it to start on "starting fluid" or wd-40 shot into the carb throats? If it runs for a couple of seconds on this fluid, you probably have a fuel problem (fuel pump diaphragm). If no fire with starting fluid, you probably have an ignition issue. Best of luck, do you have a manual that may cover this engine?

erie_guy
Port Clinton, OH

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

Can you get it to start on "starting fluid" or wd-40 shot into the carb throats? If it runs for a couple of seconds on this fluid, you probably have a fuel problem (fuel pump diaphragm). If no fire with starting fluid, you probably have an ignition issue. Best of luck, do you have a manual that may cover this engine?

erie_guy
Port Clinton, OH

Starting fluid or WD 40 is a good way to ruin a motor it washes the oil off of the main bearings. Use some premix in a squirt bottle.

How ever squirting a bit of pre mix into the carb and see it it fires is a good way to see if its fuel delivery problem.

Last edited:

erie_guy

Petty Officer 1st Class

OK, but be careful with that squirt-bottle. A backfire can be dangerous as that may set your bottle and boat on fire. All you need is a one second shot of starting ether or wd to verify if it is a fuel problem. You might also look at the fuel line "squeeze bulb" to assure you have no deterioration or plugging.

erie_guy
Port Clinton, OH

gunda420

Cadet

Found the timing key broken off the shaft when I took the flywheel off. Is there any way to replace the key or do I have to replace the crankshaft?

gunda420

Cadet

So I managed to replace the timing key and I put everything together and tried to start. It started on the first pull but she died about 5 seconds later and it did not start after that.
as u guys recommended I tried to squirt premix into the carb but still no luck. I so frustrated guys its probably something simple and iam too stupid to see it

erie_guy

Petty Officer 1st Class

To me, it sounds like you have problems with the fuel side of the equation. How old is the gas, is there any water in the fuel, are you sure it did not back-fire again (this often causes timing keys to fail). Check the key again and be sure the flywheel is not loose on the shaft, i.e. nut is torqued correctly.

And don't work until 3 AM every evening to find the problem. Have an adult beverage and chill out.

erie_guy
Port Clinton

gunda420

Cadet

Lol thx, I need to relax. Anyways I did check the flywheel again and key is fine and wheel is torqued. I think you are right, I might have a fuel issue, iam going to take the carb apart again and try with new fuel.

erie_guy

Petty Officer 1st Class

Lots of luck chasing this problem but you better hurry - the weekend is nearly here :) !!!

erie_guy
Port Clinton

gunda420

Cadet

Finally got the motor started, problem was with the main jet, I cleaned it again and it fired up. But now the problem is that as soon as I advance throttle and back off, engine starts to kick and dies off. On initial startup engine idle sounds great, its when I advance idle and back of it starts kicking and dies off. Also it starts to kick at high rev. Any ideas, I wonder if it is my pickoff coil.

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

Its still the carb, the floats and needle valve are sticking or the height is off.

gunda420

Cadet

Thank you guys, motor starts right up in half pull. Cleaned carb again, adjusted the float and also found one of the leads high resistance, both leads replaced and now it runs great, taking it out Monday. Thanks once again