89 Mercury 135HP Fuel/Choke related? Bogged down.

searaylaguna

Cadet
Why is it that every time I go out in the boat it chugs through the water for at least 20 minutes until the motor heats up good then can properly get up on plane and runs perfect all day. I'm thinking fuel related or choke is causing it to do this. It has been doing this a long time. Guessing? Any help would be great- Thanks

Dave1027

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: 89 Mercury 135HP Fuel/Choke related? Bogged down.

Do a spark gap test while cold.

oldman570

Lieutenant Commander

It can be that the thermostats are stuck open and need to be replaced. Pop it valves should be looked at also for proper operation. It is possible that someone has taken them out altogether. JMO
Oldman570

jran

Seaman Apprentice

I also have a 1989 3.0 mercruiser with 135 hp. I had same problem plus a little smoke when starting up for a few minutes. I simply adjusted my choke plate ad problem was gone.Just like that.....thankfully

searaylaguna

Cadet

I also have a 1989 3.0 mercruiser with 135 hp. I had same problem plus a little smoke when starting up for a few minutes. I simply adjusted my choke plate ad problem was gone.Just like that.....thankfully

Choke plate! Thanks, I'm going to look at that-

searaylaguna

Cadet

It can be that the thermostats are stuck open and need to be replaced. Pop it valves should be looked at also for proper operation. It is possible that someone has taken them out altogether. JMO
Oldman570

I change both thermostats every season. No change in operation? Pop-it valves? What are those? Thanx-