Mercury 500 1976 - Switchbox/Stator interaction

TinyBoat

Recruit
Hello everyone.

I have an old mercury 500 model which appears to be from 1976. One of the problems I am having is that spark is present only on cylinders 3 and 4. Having no repair manual nor prior knowledge of outboard engines I started poking around and this is what I have discovered so far.

Stator has two windings which connect to the switchbox (blue + blue white and red + red white)

My thinking was that one coil powered ingnitors 3 and 4 and one coil powered ingnitors 1 and 2. I noticed that switching the red + red/white wires for the blue + blue/white wires now resulted in spark in cylinder 1 and 2 and no spark in 3 and 4. So I figured that the red winding must have a fault in it (I determined it was the red one by disconnecting one winding at a time to see when the sparking went away) . I then decided to jumper the blue/white wire to both the red/white and blue/white terminals on the SB and the blue wire to both the red and blue terminals. Sure enough, there is now spark on all 4 cylinders. Great, problem solved, there is clearly a problem with the red winding.

Now, here is where I run into my current state of confusion. I then do some more research and find out that the two windings in the stator are not meant to be identical. One is not dedicated to cylinder 1 and 2 and the other to 3 and 4. Apparently one is a high speed winding meant to generate adequate voltage at high rpm and the other is for lower rpm. Which explains the coil resistance differential. Ok... then why did swapping the coils result in the sparking set of cylinders to also swap?!

I hope my explanation is clear. Does the observed behavior make sense to anyone? What is going on?

Thanks,
Alex

Iceman66

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Mercury 500 1976 - Switchbox/Stator interaction

Your stator is bad.

TinyBoat

Recruit

Your stator is bad.

why did jumpering the blue/blue+white coil to both the blue/blue+white and red/red+white terminals on the switchbox result in spark in all cylinders?

oldman570

Lieutenant Commander

The red/red-white coil of the stator is bad and you have supplied voltage to the switchbox by using the jumper wires thus making the switchbox fire the cylinders. JMO
Oldman570

TinyBoat

Recruit

The red/red-white coil of the stator is bad and you have supplied voltage to the switchbox by using the jumper wires thus making the switchbox fire the cylinders. JMO
Oldman570

Thanks for the reply. That is what my assumption was while troubleshooting the stator.

But if the blue/blue+white (B/BW) winding is the low speed winding and red/red+white (R/RW) is the high speed winding then don't they serve different functions? Meaning that voltage supply to the switchbox will be mainly from the B/BW winding at idle and even if R/RW is bad then it wouldn't be noticeable at idle. If the R/RW winding is bad, then wouldn't sparking disappear only at high rpm because the switchbox will receive most of the voltage supply from that particular coil?

Where is my reasoning failing?

Thanks,
Alex