Checking fluid on power tilt and trim on 1995 mariner 90 2 stoke

catsmeow1

Recruit
When I first raise my motor after sitting I get a little chatter. Want to check to fluid. The part to the right of the piston has a large screw at the bottom. Is this the fill screw. Cautious because i thought it would be higher up. Any info regarding the proper procedure would be greatly appreciated. Thank Walt

Dave1027

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Checking fluid on power tilt and trim on 1995 mariner 90 2 stoke

Raise the motor all the way then remove the fill plug. The fluid should be to the top of the fill neck. If not top it off.

Dallenx

Seaman Apprentice

Does yours look like this?

IMPORTANT: This trim system is pressurized. Remove
?Fill? plug only when outboard is tilted to
the full ?Up? position or the trim/tilt rams are fully
extended. Retighten ?Fill? plug before tilting outboard
down or retracting tilt/trim rams.
Remove ?Fill? plug and O-ring. System is full
when oil level is present at fill hole. Tighten ?Fill?
plug securely.

Attachments

• TiltTrim fill plug.jpg
    TiltTrim fill plug.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 8

RRitt

Captain

i think '95 90HP is the single ram system. the large screw at base of motor is a manual release valve. It is a way to lift or lower the engine if your battery goes dead. The fill screw is hidden by the brackets until you raise the engine. It is a large hex shaped plug facing directly out and at a slight angle. It is about 4" above the base of system. The system is pressurized when lowered and will spew oil if you remove the filler cap with ram retracted. There should be a decal on ram housing explaining this. If your fluid is red then use dextron III fluid. If it is honey colored then use hydraulic oil or trim fluid. Top off to bottom of hole using a squeeze bottle. the system is self bleeding. run it all the way up and down to cycle out air bubbles.