1980 Mercury 90hp 6cyl - Ignition/throttle remote wiring issue.

lemmer18

Cadet
i currently am installing a 1980 merc 90hp 6cylinder on my 89 maxum bowrider. US marine throttle remote already installed on boat. looking to splice in my wires with the motor to the existing wires already on the boat from previous 1988 force 70hp. Picture 1 not sure what this mechanisim is, some sort of switch that ingages when the throttle is pushed.
Im planning on not using the old throttle remote which had the key ignition choke and something else which is located in picture 2. Picture 3 is the existing key ignition wiring on the boat.

I have no idea where i should start if i should keep the ignition from the motor and cut out the switch mechanisim and just connect its wires together. Any guidence would be appreciated thanks.

Attachments

• ignition 1.jpg
    ignition 1.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 0
  • ignition 2.jpg
    ignition 2.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 0
  • ignition 3.jpg
    ignition 3.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 0

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1980 Mercury 90hp 6cyl - Ignition/throttle remote wiring issue.

The item in picture is your neutral interlock switch. You will want to use that. Item 2 is the tach connecter. You may want to use that.

Gee first find out if the shift and throttle cable control will work. The wiring can usually be adapted. You have the six coil ignition system?

lemmer18

Cadet
Re: 1980 Mercury 90hp 6cyl - Ignition/throttle remote wiring issue.

The item in picture is your neutral interlock switch. You will want to use that. Item 2 is the tach connecter. You may want to use that.

Gee first find out if the shift and throttle cable control will work. The wiring can usually be adapted. You have the six coil ignition system?

They will work the cables universal and i just purchased the adapters to use so it will connect to the motor. That neutral interlock switch will only work with the old throttle remote. which it is installed inside the system. Im assuming the new control may not need it or already has it installed on it. i cant tell didnt remove the assembly off the interior side of the boat. the tach is already wired to something and has the pressure tube to the back of the boat so i would assume that should all work. And not to sure if its the six coil ignition system. new to boats, but consider myself mechanically inclinde just need to be pointed into the right direction with something new.