wiring diagram for 1998 mercury 9.9EL

ik

Cadet
does anyone have or know where I can find a wiring diagram for a 1998 mercury 9.9EL engine?

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral
Re: wiring diagram for 1998 mercury 9.9EL

yes I should have one. It should be one of these.

electric start remote.jpgelectric start tiller.jpgmanual start.jpg

ik

Cadet

Thank you Hawker.
But I need wiring diagram inside the engine mercury 9.9 EL 2 stroke

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

Their are no electrical things in the motor, Their are a few things inside of the cowling bolted to the out side and these are the prints are for that depending on what exact motor you have. Right off hand the EL I believe stands for electric start and their two versions of that. Now if you will say what the problem is and what your trying to find out some one may be able to help.

Last edited:

ik

Cadet

Their are no electrical things in the motor, Their are a few things inside of the cowling bolted to the out side and these are the prints are for that depending on what exact motor you have. Right off hand the EL I believe stands for electric start and their two versions of that. Now if you will say what the problem is and what your trying to find out some one may be able to help.

Dr.Hawker.
In my 9.9EL mercury serial #0G 614491 a few wires disconnected and I don't now where they going
Thank you

What color are they?
Any pictures?
What type of terminals do they have?
Do you have a running problem?

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

Yes, what color will help, and if you click on the print image, then right click and then click ..save image as.. you can down load it and magnifie it with most any graphics program and you can see the color coding.

ik

Cadet

Thank you,guys.
2 gray wires.

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

OK then you have the remote control electric start motor.

One of the gray wires comes from the charging stator and connects to the rectifier, and being as its unhooked your not charging the battery. You will need to test the rectifier before you hook the gray charging stator wire before you hook it back up

The second gray wire also hooks to the rectifier and runs up to the control box and its a feed wire for a tachometer that you may or may not have.

electric start remote rectifier.jpg

ik

Cadet

Hello all, attached are images of the 1998 Mercury 9.9EL engine, if anyone can give me advice for the wire connections I'd really appreciate it!

Thank you!

Attachments

• mercury.jpg
    mercury.jpg
    145.4 KB · Views: 7
  • mercury1.jpg
    mercury1.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 8
  • mercury2.jpg
    mercury2.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 13
  • mercury3.jpg
    mercury3.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 14

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

The prints dont show any wires in a blue or a dark blue and that is what the color looks like to me. Where are they coming from. As a pure guess their out of the harness that hooks into the controller.

EDIT: Their is a blue and a purple in some of the controllers, Dose your motor have the tilt and trim set up. It may have a special harness

Last edited:

ik

Cadet

Hi,Hawker.Thank you for help.I will try to connect how you recommended

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

I am not sure where those connect, the gray wires are connected or your rectifier.