1996 150 hp xri efi Mercury Outboard Water Pump

MercUser_2013

Recruit
Just purchased a 1996 150 hp Mercury 2.5 liter xri efi outboard and was wondering about the stream coming out for the water pump. It seems to be weaker than the streams I have had for other, older motors. any thoughts on the water pump stream??

I was told that it was normal, but I am a little paranoid because I really don't want to overheat the engine.

CharlieB

Vice Admiral
Re: 1996 150 hp xri efi Mercury Outboard Water Pump

It is NEVER a bad idea to service the water pump. Especially when purchasing a used boat/motor.

Even if the prior owner changed the impeller just before the sale you want to inspect the SS cup and lower plate for wear. The sides of the impeller has a raised 'ring' to seal against leakage to the center hole/shaft. Over time these rings wear a matching 'ring' in the stainless parts and the seal weakens from the reduced side pressure. Then it is time to order a rebuild kit.

Many V6 P streams are pulled off AFTER the T-stat so the stream can fail to show with a closed stat and seem weak with only a partially open stat.

Many owners install a water pressure gauge which allows you to constantly monitor cooling pressure.

MercUser_2013

Recruit

Thanks so much for the feedback! I appreciate you taking the time. This helps.

MercUser_2013

Recruit

It is NEVER a bad idea to service the water pump. Especially when purchasing a used boat/motor.

Even if the prior owner changed the impeller just before the sale you want to inspect the SS cup and lower plate for wear. The sides of the impeller has a raised 'ring' to seal against leakage to the center hole/shaft. Over time these rings wear a matching 'ring' in the stainless parts and the seal weakens from the reduced side pressure. Then it is time to order a rebuild kit.

Many V6 P streams are pulled off AFTER the T-stat so the stream can fail to show with a closed stat and seem weak with only a partially open stat.

Many owners install a water pressure gauge which allows you to constantly monitor cooling pressure.

I am sorry, but I don't understand what the 'SS cup' is. I understand the impeller ring and seal. Is a water pressure gauge consistently reliable?