2002 mercury 60 not firing

camper52

Recruit
I have a 2002 60 horse 2 stroke i run it on water hose hose for about 5 min ran great 2 hours later took it to the lake no fire on any of the cylinders how can i check maybe the stater; trigger or whatever i might need to check with an ohm meter

CharlieB

Vice Admiral
Re: 2002 mercury 60 not firing

First check that the kill lanyard clip is installed correctly, it could have been bumped during transport and kills the ignition.

Next test for spark on each plug wire, if no spark then disconnect the black wire with a thin yellow trace line that connects the motor wiring harness to the ignition and retest for spark. If spark now then there is a short to ground in the wiring harness or ignition switch.

If still no spark then you need a DVA meter or a DVA adaptor to test individual components following the directions in the CDI Igntion Guide available FREE at this link

ISSUU - CDI Electronics Practical Outboard Ignition Troubleshooting by CDI Electronics

Repost you progress/success or any further questions or problems.

camper52

Recruit

Thank you so much for helping me could the stater cause this i have a spare the one on the boat will not read any thing when i check the grn/wht and the wht/grn but the spare will could this be my problem

CharlieB

Vice Admiral

It is possible that the stator died.

Disconnect the stator wires then repeat your Ohms tests, compare to your spare. If no continuity on the installed then I would seriously suspect the stator.

HOWEVER, DVA testing while cranking is THE most reliable testing method.

And remember that NO RETURN thing on electrical parts. You are lucky to have a 2nd stator, otherwise I would highly recommend DVA results before considering replacing anything.