1995 Mercury 115hp (4 cylinder) Stator Question

LSC BOATER

Recruit
First time poster here... I'm hoping someone can answer my question concerning Stator part numbers.

1st off my 1995 Merc 155hp Serial # OG256781 would not start and I found out I had a bad Stator. The OEM replacement part # is 398-9710A45 from what I'm seeing for various parts suppliers. Unfortunately this part was discontinued so rather then by a replacement from CDI or Sierra I opted for a used part off of EBAY. I found a used one and the fellow gave me a 14 day money back guarantee if it didn't work. Well I got the stator and the part # on the stator is 398-9710A33. :mad-new: I gave him a call and he assured me that this part will work on my motor. Before I have my buddy install it I want to make sure he isn't feeding me a line of bull. I thought I read somewhere that the difference between the two was one was for a 9amp system and the other is for a 16amp. I'd hate to burn something up and I'm hoping someone here can make the call.

Thanks for reading...

Greg aka LSC BOATER

CharlieB

Vice Admiral
Re: 1995 Mercury 115hp (4 cylinder) Stator Question

The A# at the end of the part # is the Revision #, how many times the original part has had some small change to the design.

The important #'s are those before the A

Bolt it on.

Edit;
You can trust CDI parts, they do make the correct stator for your motor.

Last edited:

oldman570

Lieutenant Commander

The red colored stators are usually a 16 amp stator and will work on your motor. You should change out the rectifier if your old stator was a 9 amp unit as the rectifier can burn out from the higher amperage created by a 16 amp stator. JMO
Oldman570

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

The red colored stators are usually a 16 amp stator and will work on your motor. You should change out the rectifier if your old stator was a 9 amp unit as the rectifier can burn out from the higher amperage created by a 16 amp stator. JMO
Oldman570

Get educated every day. I opened my service manual before I said too much and found out something I didn't know. The manual describes a black stator 9 amp stator that is used with a rectifier only, primarily as a power source for running lights on manual start engines.

It then proceeds to say: "Black Stator 14 and 16 Ampere Alternator System Test". It proceeds to identify a rectifier/regl module for use with this stator. Then goes on to do the same but lists 16 amps as the only option with the Red stator.

Totally confused, I went to the start of the section and looked at the Specifications sheet preceeding the verbiage about testing and all, it lists Black and Red Stators with the Red appearing on the higher serial number engines. My guess is that the Red is an upgraded stator for reliability improvement...probably....and the color was changed to be easily recognized.

My manual was printed in '97 and covers US engine S/N OD283222 and above and Belgium 09793577 and above.

HTH,
Mark

LSC BOATER

Recruit

Thanks for the input guys! I'm happy to hear that I do indeed have the right replacement part. It's a black stator and I'm replacing a black stator. As long as the numbers before the "A" match I'm good to go. If I ever need more motor advise, it's nice to know that I can count on the reliable folks here on this forum. Thanks again!!!:D