1994 Mercury 40 HP Carb. needle and seat

Joel K

Seaman Apprentice
I have 2 WMA-9 carburators that have both been rebuilt along with new needles several times. The lower carb is dripping from the bottom again, and I believe is a needle/seat problem again, with the primer bulb going soft and the boat stalling occasionally at low speeds. It won't start again until I prime the bulb after it dies.

Since the last needle hasn't been in long, I suspect the seat is probably causing the problem, but the seat doesn't come with a rebuild kit and can't be replaced. Anybody ever found a way to clean up a permenant carb seat? I thought about trying to disconnect and rotate the needle against the seat several times thinking there might just be some slight roughness or a tiny spot on the seat that the needle would smooth out, but don't want to cause a bigger problem.

Thanks!

Toddboat

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1994 Mercury 40 HP Carb. needle and seat

May not be a problem with the needle or the seat but the float level instead. I would adjust that while holding the carb upside down and blowing through the fuel intake. It is adjusted correctly when you can't blow through it.