1978 mercury 700 not starting

adriancooke

Cadet
I have a 1978 Mercuru 700 70 hp engine, we were underway one day and all of a sudden the engine stopped and would not restart, upon getting it home I realized the shift rod was broken, i replaced the shift rod and new impeller etc in water pump and it is still not starting, I do not think I am getting spark but am not sure, I do not know what else to do besides what I have done already which includes removing all of the wires and cleaning the contacts, any info would be helpful. I have a feeling that is in the ignition system somewhere but do not know exactly where yet, thanks

Re: 1978 mercury 700 not starting

got me. sounds like it will take a methodical troubleshoot session. One must remember that you had more than one issue at the same time. usually this means that something caused it all. I'd check compression if you can, and make sure that when the switch is on, you have power to the ignition circuit for starts.

adriancooke

Cadet
Re: 1978 mercury 700 not starting

got me. sounds like it will take a methodical troubleshoot session. One must remember that you had more than one issue at the same time. usually this means that something caused it all. I'd check compression if you can, and make sure that when the switch is on, you have power to the ignition circuit for starts.

I have some new spark plug wires coming to me so I am going to install those, I am not expecting that the be the problem so I also have a DVA meter on its way to me so I can correctly troubleshoot the ignition. Anything else anyone can think of is appreciated, I have used a regular multi meter to test resistance etc but it is not giving me any kind of definitive answer, I am going to start at the stator and move my way down to the rectifier and switch box and finally the coils. Any help is greatly appreciated!!