1997 8 HP Mercury rebuild

whalerbob

Seaman Apprentice
I recently acquired a seized 8hp, the motor had very little use and was left in the engine room of another boat for 2 years laying on it's side. After unsuccessfully trying to unseize it using conventional methods I decided to rebuild it, the crank shaft bearings were frozen and I was able to clean them up and put the motor back together. I am at the stage where the motor should be running but I can't seem to get combustion.

I am getting 120psi compression from both cylinders and I am getting spark at both plugs. I rebuilt the carburetor which had a lot of dried up gas in it.

I could not get combustion even when I sprayed starting fluid into the carburetor.

When I rebuilt the motor I didn't pay attention to the bleed hoses and valves, when I pulled the lower hose off fuel poured out of the fitting and I'm not sure if this should happen? I am also not sure if you have to set the timing on these motors? The service manual I have is not very informative regarding timing.

Any thoughts?

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1997 8 HP Mercury rebuild

The timing is adjusted with the linkage bar that also connects to the carb and throttle cable, if you took it all apart it may be out of adjustment now. Also check the flywheel key, if it sheared you will still get good spark, just not at the correct time.

whalerbob

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for responding, the flywheel key is intact so I can rule that out. I had some problems remembering where the linkage bar went, I currently have it connected to the choke on one end and the trigger which is under the flywheel on the other end.
The service manual does not describe how to check the timing or set the timing if the engine is not running, there must be some type of procedure for getting it close?

whalerbob

Seaman Apprentice

I popped off the flywheel to examine the trigger and stator, these appear to go on only one way and appear not to be damaged. I determined where the rod connects the trigger to the choke assembly. I'm still stumped as to why I don't get combustion?
20130822_200428.jpg