1982 mercury 800 fuel delivery

joshgar8

Seaman
Hey guys, I have a 1982 mercury 800 80hp I'm trying to get running. It will hit and run when gas/oil is sprayed into the carbs. I have tore the carbs apart and cleaned and inspected. I found no issues with those so I re installed them. When I pump the bulb it is hard as a rock and I cannot get any fuel to blow past the needle and seats. I pulled the main jets/tubes out and the fuel flowed freely out there on both carbs. That leads me to believe the main jets are possible clogged or the venturies may be clogged or maybe float issues. If it had float issues it would not have a free flow of fuel at the main jet/tube holes. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

joshgar8

Seaman
Re: 1982 mercury 800 fuel delivery

I forgot to add that it will not run when applying allot of pressure to the bulb when attempting to start so I do not think its a fuel pump issue. The pump looked good without any holes anything.

joshgar8

Seaman
Re: 1982 mercury 800 fuel delivery

I have since got the engine to run. It will start most of the time when hot as soon as you hit the key however if its cold you have to shoot some fuel in the carb to get it to hit along with the fast idle. The timing is set to 3* BTDC @ idle and 24* BTDC @ max throttle and the max throttle is not binding the carb butterflies. The fuel bulb remains hard. The fuel pump seems to be in good shape but it is not new. The idle mixture screws have been anywhere between 1-2 turns out without any significant differences. I do not have a tach so I don't know what it is idling at. It did seem to want to take fuel and go while in gear on the trailer but when I returned the throttle back to neutral it died and was a bear to get started. Any ideas on what to do next?