1988 Mercury 90hp Oil Injection

Schnidly

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Dear Forum,

I own a 1988 Mercury 90hp outboard with oil injection. The serial number is: 0B302485. My oil injection seems to be working very good since I bought the boat in 1999. A dealership in my area(Wisconsin) mentioned about disconnecting the oil injection and just mixing the fuel and oil in a gas can and pouring it into the below the deck gas tank. If my oil injection is working fine why should I do this? I did not ask him because in mentioning this he sort of caught me off guard. Do any of you suggest that I do this? I put more trust in numbers(friendly advice on here) than in one dealerships suggestion. If you do suggest doing this, even though my oil injection seems to be working just fine, can someone explain the steps involved in disconnecting the oil injection on the motor?

Thank you,

Rick S.

adam98

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: 1988 Mercury 90hp Oil Injection

Up to you. If you keep your motor clean and keep the posible issue in mind. Keep it. Also if you idle alot or not a wot guy the injection is Really a benefit. As 50:1 is good for full bore running but will load up at idle and low speeds, that cause other issues. And very little oil is needed for idle and 1/4 throttle. If you run wot for long periods it would only take a few min. to destroy a motor without oil.

I ran a clear hose from my oil injection point to the fuel pump so I can see the color of fuel my motor is being feed. Just to see a tint of oil color when ever I feel like checking. I check often as I'm sure the line has a shorter life span then fuel line. Also every once in a while ill do a wot pass for 20-30 sec. And shut it off to check plug color and constistance between plugs.