1966 Mercury 1100 outboard carburetor problem.

wolfsterman

Cadet
I just had the carburetors rebuilt on my 1966 Mercury 1100 outboard, and was excited to get my boat out on the water. It ran beautifully for about 20 minutes, and then completely lost power and died. I called the mechanic, and I said that I needed to get a new fuel tank, and not to place an inline filter on the boat. He said that he would go through the carburetors again at no additional charge. I have done some reading, and have some mechanical ability. I used to have another mercury outboard that I ran an inline filter for years and never had a problem. My mechanic won't answer his phone or return any calls. I feel like I have been taken to the cleaners. Don't have a lot of money. So, here's my question. I would like to replace the fuel line, and bulb and put an inline filter on the new line. Run some carb cleaner through the carbs on both the fuel side, and the air side (tank / air inlet). Does anyone think that this has a good chance of fixing the problem, or am I just wasting my time and/or money? Any input here would be very helpful, as I am very frustrated about the whole situation.

Thanks

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1966 Mercury 1100 outboard carburetor problem.

Welcome to iboats

Well the mechanic said he would check the carbs again at no charge. That's going to take him a couple of hours at best. When you say inline filter I assume you mean one of the water separating types? They look about the size of an engine oil filter. These filters are fine as they have a large amount of media and would be too restrictive to cause issues for the fuel pump.

Toddboat

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Add fuel stabilizer at each fill-up so that ethanol doesn't eat away at the fuel lines and fuel pump, leaving bits of debris in your carbs. The clean carbs prolly got you going for 20 min, but then they got clogged again. This time, clean the carbs, replace the fuel lines, replace the membrane in the fuel pump, add your filter, and then always stabilize your fuel.

turtles11756

Petty Officer 1st Class

make sure the fuel line is pumping /feeding fuel to carbs run the motor on clean fresh gas and throw add on the fuel filter away . the carbs all have built in filters. the carbs must be adjusted correct in order for the motor to get enough oil or you ruin motor ! find another mechanic and get yourself a MERCURY outboard service manual and start reading on page # 1. you have a real good motor there get it right !