How to stop a 1962 mercury 3.9 hp engine.

Darojo

Recruit
Is there a better way to turn off my Merc 39? I think I've just been flooding it with the choke and throttle... sometimes I just pull the fuel line!

tpenfield

Staff member
Re: How to stop a 1962 mercury 3.9 hp engine.

Push button for stop. :noidea:

Last edited:

Darojo

Recruit

... I wish. No stop button/switch. Choke only.

Mi duckdown

Commander

Choke it out, if do not have a stop button.

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

Pulling the fuel line and running it dry is a good practice. I do that my self at the end of the days use.

emckelvy

Commander

Merc intended for the motor to be killed by choking. If you prefer, you could add a kill switch which would short the points to ground.

You'd probably need to drill a hole in the bottom of the magneto plate, to get the wire up in there. Install a rubber grommet in the hole and run the wire thru. Make sure the wire can move thru the entire range of motion of the magneto plate, without binding or chafing.

Connect to the same terminal where the coil wire and the stainless flat spring from the insulated moving portion of the points are connected.

Drill a hole in a suitable place in the cowling (likely the Stbd side but your preference). Run one wire of the kill switch to engine ground, the other goes to the magneto.

Any generic pushbutton kill switch (like an old OMC switch) will do, or you can buy a fancy new switch with a lanyard. Your preference.

One last thought, if you set the idle speed down low enough, and make sure the choke is tight enough to properly seal the carb, you shouldn't have any trouble killing by choking.

But the kill switch provides an extra measure of safety.

Here's an inexpensive switch at the iBoats store:

Universal Kill Switch SeaDog Line 420488-1 - iboats

HTH...........ed

Darojo

Recruit

Thank you. I will have to make those adjustments to the idle and choke. Once she's warmed up... choke won't kill it. I guess for the time being I'll continue to pull the fuel line... if that's not harming the motor. Thanks for the advice.

Mi duckdown

Commander

On mine,choke kills whith in seconds. not a fan of removing the the fuel line to kill it. Just My .02