Kiekhaefer Mercury Mark 25 over heating

fishon71

Chief Petty Officer
Okay, never worked on a Mercury motor this old and need some guidance
Mercury model 25 serial number 1042070 - if my findings are right this is a 1957
20 hp but the color is not green it is all gold/tan - correct me here if you can.

Next it does not pump water and over heats. I found the water tube pretty
clogged up with salt and blew everything clean. Does this have a rubber or medal
impeller? I assume the impeller is under the impeller cover with the 4 holes for removal
I also assume you need a special tool to remove the cover or need to get creative.

Thanks for your help

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
Re: Kiekhaefer Mercury Mark 25 over heating

Yes, that should be a 1957. Mercury offered many "Merchromatic" colors in those days, so unless you have evidence that it's been repainted, it could very well be original.

It has a rubber impeller, and yes, it is under that cap. Lacking the tool, you MIGHT be able to remove it with a flat punch of the same diameter as the holes in the cap. Don't tap it out with the punch, rather with the tip in a hole, holding the punch vertically, use it as a fulcrum for a long, flat-bladed screwdriver to act as a lever against the driveshaft. Heat and penetrating oil may be needed to encourage it. Tap it loose as a last resort as the caps distort fairly easily. New ones are available through oldmercs.com .

If you're handy in the shop, you might be able to make a tool to help remove the cover. Saw a pic of a crescent wrench that had holes drilled through the tips of the jaws and roll pins tapped into place to act as an adjustable cover tool wrench. It fit several Merc models...
http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc28/Dixieflash/Water_pump_crescent_wrench_tool-1.jpg

fishon71

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks for the help, I got it apart very easily and impeller was shot. I like the crescent wrench tool though I was trying to think how to make something. That is very cool. I will plant the idea for the future.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Yes, that should be a 1957. Mercury offered many "Merchromatic" colors in those days, so unless you have evidence that it's been repainted, it could very well be original.

It has a rubber impeller, and yes, it is under that cap. Lacking the tool, you MIGHT be able to remove it with a flat punch of the same diameter as the holes in the cap. Don't tap it out with the punch, rather with the tip in a hole, holding the punch vertically, use it as a fulcrum for a long, flat-bladed screwdriver to act as a lever against the driveshaft. Heat and penetrating oil may be needed to encourage it. Tap it loose as a last resort as the caps distort fairly easily. New ones are available through oldmercs.com .

If you're handy in the shop, you might be able to make a tool to help remove the cover. Saw a pic of a crescent wrench that had holes drilled through the tips of the jaws and roll pins tapped into place to act as an adjustable cover tool wrench. It fit several Merc models...
http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc28/Dixieflash/Water_pump_crescent_wrench_tool-1.jpg

Your Avatar was the first thing that came to my mind upon reading this thread. Neat that you caught it and had the right answer for him.

Amazing how these engines just keep running and running and running.....

Mark

fishon71

Chief Petty Officer

This is a real clean motor too - the owner wants to know what its worth because he wants to sell it, I have no idea what to tell him - runs like a top.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Value is in the eye of the beholder. Let him make the offer. It may pleasantly surprise you. Better than you make the offer and pleasantly surprise him and that happens a lot. If you don't like his number, counter it. If you really don't like it and he refuses, walk off. You can always call him the next day. But most of the time, if the seller is serious, when they see you walk away they usually stop you and make a new offer. Down "heah" we call it "haggling" and usually occurs with sales of used equipment and personally, I love to do it.....it's a mind (mental exercise) game.

HTH,
Mark